Traveling with pets
Korean Air strives to do its best to provide your pet with a safe and pleasant flight.
We allow dogs, cats and birds to be carried in the cabin if they are older than 8 weeks of age and to be carried in the cargo compartment if they are older than 16 weeks of age.
- Other animals such as rabbits, hamsters and snakes are not allowed in cabin or as checked baggage. Please enquire at a cargo agency for transportation.
- Avoid any type of sedatives as it can affect the body temperature and blood pressure of the pet.
- If an accompanying animal is suspected to disturb other passengers by making loud noises (barking, etc.) continuously, please note that we have the right to refuse transportation of the animal.
- If your accompanying animal makes noise during flight, you must comply with the request (use of muzzle, etc.) of the cabin crew to minimize disturbance.
- Fierce dogs (as defined by the Korean Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries), animals that are violent, on medication, ill, have a strong odor or are pregnant will not be allowed on the aircraft.
- Brachycephalic (snub-nosed) breeds, which are susceptible to breathing difficulties or death during air flight due to their anatomical structure, cannot be carried in the cargo compartment. They may be carried in the cabin only if the carry-on conditions are met.
Service Animals(Dog only)
Permitted on board at no cost for passengers with special needs. The dog must sit in front of the passenger and quarantine certificates are still required.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, mentally handicapped people with an emotional support animal must carry a medical statement issued within a year of their departure date; emotional support animals are only allowed in flights departing/arriving in America. Please contact the Korean Air Service center Open in new window for details.
- Number of pets per person: You (except for Unaccompanied Minors) are allowed a maximum of three if one is a carry-on and two travel in the cargo compartment. The one exception of being allowed two as carry-ons is if they are the same breed and under 6 months of age.
- Number of pets per aircraft: The number varies by aircraft, but all are restricted due to safety reasons. Please note that no pets are allowed on Boeing 737 international flights.
- Transportation of pets can be restricted depending on your destination.
Rules surrounding pet travel vary around the world. Please contact the embassy or consulate of your destination country to confirm all necessary documents such as quarantine certificates, health certificates and rabies immunization reports. We have some helpful tips — but please note that all information is subject to change.
Transporting animals for commercial purposes
If you transport animals for commercial purposes including sale, adoption, dog fair, breeding, research and so forth, please note that entry of the animals may be denied by the country of destination in accordance with their regulations. If your animals are denied entry, you will be responsible for all expenses related to the transportation of the animals.
Fees vary depending on departure country and destination.
Precautions when traveling
Before flying with Korean Air, please consult with your doctor about whether you are fit to travel.
Plan to air travel with pets
Weight Limits : You can carry a pet on board if the total weight if the pet and kennel is 7 kg or less; a pet must travel as checked baggage if the total weight is between 7kg and 32 kg
We can carry a pet as checked baggage if the total weight is between 33 kg and 45 kg, but please note that certain countries do not permit the carriage of pets in this weight classification due to their regulations.
Codeshare flight passengers may not be eligible for animal transportation depending on the Codeshare agreement. Please contact the Korean Air Service center Open in new window for further information about the applicable countries and restrictions. (Your pet should be transported by freighter if the total weight is over 45kg.)
Contain ample space for your pet to move around.
The calculated dimensions of the standing animal in a natural position
- A is length of animal from tip of nose to base/root of tail.
- B is height from ground to elbow joint.
- C is width across shoulders or widest point (whichever is the greater).
- D is height of animal in natural standing position from top of the head or the ear tip to the floor (whichever is higher)
Minimum internal container dimensions
- Length : A plus (one-half times B)
- Width : C times 2
- Height : D
Spacer Bars must be provided along the middle of both long sides of the container.
The container must be adequately ventilated on at least three sides, with ventilation openings
A “Live Animals” label and “This Way Up” label is mandatory.
- Be made from firm materials such as metal, wood or plastic (cloth and leather carriers permitted for carry-on pets)
- Come equipped with proper ventilation and water resistant
- Please refer to IATA Traveler's Pet Corner Open in new window for details on appropriate transportation carriers (kennel, etc.) for your pet
- Carry-on kennel dimensions: No larger than 115 cm (45 in; for economy class, the height should be less than 20 cm (8 in) (soft cages can be 26 cm high (10 in)).
- In accordance with the security regulations, all First Class and Prestige Class passengers are kindly requested to secure the pet carriage into the places like overhead-bins and coatrooms during take-off and landing.
- American Bully, Bulldog, Pug, Persian cat, and other brachycephalic(snub-nosed) breeds have weak respiratory system, which may lead to breathing difficulties and even death during flight. Please be sure to consult with a veterinarian about your snub-nosed pet when making plans to travel by air with your pet.
For checked baggage
- Kennel dimension : No larger than 291cm (114 in), the heights should be less than 84cm (33in)
Making your pet comfortable
Be sure to give your pet food and water no more than two hours before departure; include absorbent bedding inside the carrier; and avoid sedatives because they can have an adverse effect on the animal.
In case of emergency
Please ensure your name and telephone number are written in English and attached to the kennel and that your pet’s carrier can be unlocked easily.
Register your companion animal and receive a stamp to record your trip together.
SKYPETS is a preferred customer program for those who register their pet on the website, collect stamps each time they travel with their pet, and use the stamps to receive free or discount travel with their pets.
Register your companion animal
You can register your pet by selecting SKYPETS in the My Dashboard menu.
- Eligible pets: Dogs, cats, and birds
- Maximum of 5 companion animals can be registered.
You can earn stamps on the SKYPETS menu for travels made with your pet on Korean Air.
A stamp will be awarded for each cage.
- One stamp given per single segment of Korean domestic travel
- Two stamps given per single segment of international travel
Accrued stamps can be redeemed for a free travel or a discount for companion animals.
- 6 stamps : 50% discount on one Korean domestic flight segment
- 12 stamps : One free Korean domestic flight segment or 50% discount on one international flight segment
- 24 stamps : One free international flight segment
When you have finalized your travel plans, book your journey in advance through our customer service center.
The stamps will be redeemed at the ticketing counter in the airport of departure city.
- Accrued stamps are valid for three years from the boarding date and stamps can be claimed within 1 year from the boarding date.
- Stamps will be awarded only to members who have booked and made a payment for their companion travel.
- Any travel with a service animal that assists passengers with special needs is not eligible to receive a stamp.
- Stamps for companion travel may be awarded only after the start date of the program (May 26th 2017).
- Stamps will be awarded only for companion travel after signing up for SKYPASS membership.
- The relevant service may be changed or discontinued without prior notice, according to the circumstances of the company.