Guidelines for Pets On Board
- Types: Dogs, cats and birds only
- Age: Must be at least 8 weeks old
- Weight Limits : You can carry a pet on board if the total weight of the pet and kennel is 5 kg or less; a pet must travel in the cargo compartment if the total weight is between 5 kg and 32 kg.
- We can carry a pet in our cargo compartment if the total weight is between 33 kg and 45 kg, but please note that certain countries do not permit the carriage of pets in this weight classification due to their regulations. Codeshare flight passengers may not be eligible for animal transportation depending on the Codeshare agreement. Please contact the KE service center for further information about the applicable countries and restrictions. (Your pet should be transported by freighter if the total weight is over 45kg.)
- Number of pets per person: You (except for Unaccompanied Minors) are allowed a maximum of three if one is a carry-on and two travel in the cargo compartment. The one exception of being allowed two as carry-ons is if they are the same breed and under 6 months of age.
- Number of pets per aircraft: The number varies by aircraft, but all are restricted due to safety reasons. Please note that no pets are allowed on Boeing 737 international flights.
- Transportation of pets can be restricted depending on your destination.
- Restrictions on the brachycephalic breeds(Dogs, Cats) transported in the cargo compartment of domestic flight operated with narrow body aircraft from July to September.
- Dog : Dogo Argentino*, Mastiff*, Boston Terrier*, Boxer*, Bulldog*, Brussels Griffon*, Shih Tzu*, Spaniel(English toy)*, Japanese Chin*, Chow Chow*, Pug*, Pekingese*, Lhasa Apso, Shapei, Affenpinscher, Tibetan Spaniel, Pit Bull (* All Breeds)
- Cat : Burmese, Exotic, Himalayan, Persian
Service Animals (Dog only)
- Permitted on board at no cost for passengers with special needs. The dog must sit in front of the passenger and quarantine certificates are still required.
- According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, mentally handicapped people with an emotional support animal must carry a medical statement issued within a year of their departure date; emotional support animals are only allowed in flights departing/arriving in America. Please contact the Korean Air Service Center for details.
Rules surrounding pet travel vary around the world. Please contact the embassy or consulate of your destination country to confirm all necessary documents such as quarantine certificates, health certificates and rabies immunization reports. We have some helpful tips — but please note that all information is subject to change.
Fees vary depending on departure country and destination.
Departures from Korea will have KRW as standard, while departures from the U.S. use USD , departures from Canada use CAD prices and departures from Indonesia use IDR prices. Departures from other countries will use USD standard price converted based on the exchange rate of the day.
Contain ample space for your pet to move around.
- Be made from firm materials such as metal, wood or plastic (cloth and leather carriers permitted for carry-on pets).
- Come equipped with proper ventilation.
- Be water resistant.
- Carry-on kennel dimensions: No larger than 115 cm (45 in; for economy class, the height should be less than 20 cm (8 in) (soft cages can be 26 cm high (10 in)).
- Cargo compartment dimensions: No larger than 246 cm (97 in)
- In accordance with the security regulations, all First Class and Prestige Class passengers are kindly requested to secure the pet carriage into the places like overhead-bins and coatrooms during take-off and landing.
Making your pet comfortable
Be sure to give your pet food and water no more than two hours before departure; include absorbent bedding inside the carrier; and avoid sedatives because they can have an adverse affect on the animal.
In case of emergency
Please ensure your name and telephone number are written in English and attached to the kennel and that your pet’s carrier can be unlocked easily.
Register your companion animal and receive a stamp to record your trip together.
SKYPETS is a preferred customer program for those who register their pet on the website, collect stamps each time they travel with their pet, and use the stamps to receive free or discount travel with their pets.
Register your companion animal
You can register your pet by selecting SKYPETS in the My Dashboard menu.
- Eligible pets: Dogs, cats, and birds
- Maximum of 5 companion animals can be registered.
You can earn stamps on the SKYPETS menu for travels made with your pet on Korean Air.
A stamp will be awarded for each cage.
- One stamp given per single segment of Korean domestic travel
- Two stamps given per single segment of international travel
Accrued stamps can be redeemed for a free travel or a discount for companion animals.
- 6 stamps : 50% discount on one Korean domestic flight segment
- 12 stamps : One free Korean domestic flight segment or 50% discount on one international flight segment
- 24 stamps : One free international flight segment
When you have finalized your travel plans, book your journey in advance through our customer service center.
The stamps will be redeemed at the ticketing counter in the airport of departure city.
- Accrued stamps are valid for three years from the boarding date and stamps can be claimed within 1 year from the boarding date.
- Stamps will be awarded only to members who have booked and made a payment for their companion travel.
- Any travel with a service animal that assists passengers with special needs is not eligible to receive a stamp.
- Stamps for companion travel may be awarded only after the start date of the program (May 26th 2017).
- Stamps will be awarded only for companion travel after signing up for SKYPASS membership.
- The relevant service may be changed or discontinued without prior notice, according to the circumstances of the company.